July 21, 2020

The One Where Duck Helped Me Start Day 2 of 75 Hard

For the past couple of days, I've actually made myself go to bed by 11:00 (last night I was asleep by 10:30). I have been trying to get in a nightly routine where I am done on my computer by 9:00 and then I read on my Kindle until 10:30 or so (when I start falling asleep).

I've always had trouble falling asleep so early, but I think that reading a book without distraction makes me tired enough to fall asleep. And then when I go to bed THAT early, I have woken up earlier for the past couple of days, too. This morning, I was up at 5:00 and wide awake to start the day.

This is how my day started... Duck was determined to help me start my 75 Hard challenge. First, he decided that since my eyes were open, it was time to get up.

Then I wrote a few lines in my 'Some Lines A Day' journal (Amazon affiliate link). Journaling is not part of 75 Hard, but a habit I want to get into.

Then I started drinking my water, and Duck was all about licking the condensation from the bottle while I drank.

Then I read my non-fiction book (I'm reading 'The Complete Guide to Fasting' by Dr. Jason Fung. I liked 'The Obesity Code' (Amazon affiliate links) so much that I started this one. I'm not loving it so far, so I may find something else to read for 75 Hard instead and maybe listen to this as an audiobook like I did with 'The Obesity Code'.)

Duck was clearly intrigued by it, though.

By the time Jerry got home from work at 6:15, I was ready to head out for my first workout of the day--a 45 minute walk. Duck decided not to help me with that one.

I actually wanted to check off one of the walks on my Cookies Summer Challenge list, so I walked until I reached three miles. When I walk, I feel like I'm going faster than I actually am. My pace always surprises me. I took Joey with me this morning.

I did the "progression walk", where each mile is faster than the previous.

When I got home, I drank another quart of water and then changed right into my painting clothes so I could work on the garage some more. I felt like I had so much energy! It was only 7:30 or so, but I had already checked off my 75 Hard list: 1) Two quarts of water; 2) Reading 10 pages; 3) One outdoor 45-minute workout; 4) Taking a progression picture.

I did quite a bit in the garage today. Remember that 2x4 sill that runs along the top of the concrete foundation wall, just below the drywall? I had no idea what to do with it.

I decided to use a bunch of scrap boards my brother had given me to nail to the edge of it all the way around the perimeter. Then, I'll buy some 2x6 boards to put on top of those, so it'll be a little ledge all the way around. It's hard to describe, so I'll take a picture once I get the 2x6's.

But today, I used the table saw to cut down all the boards into 2.5-inch wide pieces (I probably had 25 of them when I was done!). Then I used a trim nailer to attach the to the side of the 2x4's. It already looks better than before.

When I decided to be done with the garage for the day, it was 1:00. Jerry was still sleeping, so I decided to get in my second workout of the day and then I could just relax for the rest of the day. Since I started that one between 12 PM and 2 PM, I counted it as my lunch time walk for Cookies Summer Challenge.

My legs were definitely feeling tired. I had gotten in over 15,000 steps before 2:00 PM, which is a LOT for me.

I was feeling hungry by the time my intermittent fasting "eating window" started at 4:00. It was weird--I felt super energetic all day and then right after I ate dinner, I felt like my whole body just crashed. I got SO tired. After Jerry left for work, I started reading my book. I just started Suzanne Collins' new book, 'The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes'  (Amazon affiliate link) a couple of days ago and I'm loving it! It's a prequel to The Hunger Games. Almost right away, I started falling asleep.

The urge to sleep was so strong that I actually climbed in bed and took a nap. I never, ever take naps! I don't know if it's the extra exercise, or getting up early, or the intermittent fasting, or what--but it was so unlike me to fall asleep during the day. I woke up at 8:00 and knew I had to get up and write my blog post, so here I am.

Anyway, I completed Day 2 of 75 Hard and I'm feeling good about it! The part that I find the hardest is the second workout of the day. I wanted to go for a bike ride today but my butt bones hurt too much from yesterday, haha.

I'm going to read some more of my book and hopefully get another good night's sleep tonight. It would be nice if I can get in the habit of being in bed by 10:30 every night and wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 to start the day with my water, non-fiction reading, and first workout.

I feel really good about the last two days and I feel like this 75 Hard challenge will be good for my self-esteem. I have been feeling terrible about myself lately and being able to stick with something like this makes me feel good and it makes me want to keep going. Of course, I have 73 days to go ;)


  1. What a fun post. It seems like a neat challenge. Duck is such a cutie. In some of the pictures it almost looks like he has a little Siamese in him

    1. That's so funny you recognized that. The rescue we got him from told us that his mom was pure Siamese!

  2. Hey Katie I'm excited because I read in People magazine they are having a rescue dog photo contest. I'm hoping to enter our Maltese mix. I'm just no good at taking pictures and down loading and stuff. Joey has a good chance of winning and the prizes are NICE. I especially like the $1000 goes to the rescue center of your choice. Katie please spread the word!

  3. Great Duck series, love it! :)

  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

  5. I finished Day 1 and having small goals to focus on gave me a little extra motivation to get more tasks done. I added skincare and cleaning-related tasks to my list since those are things I've been slacking on lately. I made a spreadsheet so I can cross out each box with an X. The workouts are easy for me since I'm already on a plan (not twice a day, but 10+ hours a week). Sticking to a diet for 75 days without cheating/binging is something I've never been able to do. I know I can though and I want to!

  6. I love the narration with Duck. Kittens are the best!

  7. I'm so excited to see how you trim out the wall in your garage. I have the same thing in a converted garage/craftroom and it's done with paneling. I'm thinking I want a wider ledge around the perimeter and I think that is what you are doing, so I'm excited to see...


I used to publish ALL comments (even the mean ones) but I recently chose not to publish those. I always welcome constructive comments/criticism, but there is no need for unnecessary rudeness/hate. But please--I love reading what you have to say! (This comment form is super finicky, so I apologize if you're unable to comment)

Featured Posts

Blog Archive