August 09, 2022

DIY Humor

Today was another very long day of working in the bedroom and bathroom, so I didn't have the mental energy to put together a Transformation Tuesday (not to mention the zero sleep I got last night on the couch!). But here is some DIY humor--even though this project was totally unexpected and has turned into a HUGE undertaking, you know I love all things DIY ;)   

Let's hope that we can get this done soon and everything will return to normal! 

August 08, 2022

Demolition Day

Unfortunately, I have pretty much no time to write a post today; I've been working non-stop all day on the bedroom and bathroom. Brian (my brother) came over early this morning and we changed plans a bit. I'll write about that later, but it involves removing the entire subfloor and then replacing it with plywood.

My job was to remove the subfloor, which was terrifying at first, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was removing the ten billion staples holding the subfloor down. Putting the new plywood down should be much faster and easier than pulling apart the floor today!

I am completely exhausted, but there is a lot more work to do tomorrow. And I don't have a bed to sleep in tonight! Jerry and I are going to sleep on the couch, haha. Anyway, Jerry took a bunch of pictures when I didn't even realize it, so here are a few from our work today...


Well, that's all I can write tonight. Tomorrow, we have to put down more insulation, lay the plywood, prep the bathroom plumbing for the new bathtub/shower, possibly install the bathtub, and frame in a couple of small walls. (Brian will be doing the important stuff! But I love to learn how to do new things, and I learned quite a bit today.)

Anyway, I've cried many tears over all of this (I never anticipated this project!), but I am starting to envision how much better it will be when it's done. I may or may not be able to do a Transformation Tuesday tomorrow, depending on time, but please send me your transformations anyway. Just send a before photo and an after photo to me at: katie (at) runsforcookies (dot) com. Include your name and a description of your transformation--can't wait to see what you've got!

August 07, 2022

Joey's Summer Vacation

I'm feeling pretty depressed again today but I don't want to write about that. I'm tired of thinking about heavy stuff and worrying about everything, so I thought this would be the perfect post for today: Joey's summer vacation.

If you missed it, Joey stayed with my sister Jeanie for several weeks this summer. She lives in Illinois, but she and Shawn, her husband, have property in northern Michigan. They have a basset hound and Jeanie thought it would be fun for both Joey and her dog (Bentley) to stay with her for a while.

He would stay at the house with them in Illinois, and then go up north with them on the weekends. Jeanie and Shawn's property has a HUGE fenced in area for the dogs to run and then much more acreage to enjoy.

Here are a few notes from Jeanie about Joey's stay...

A typical day in Rockford:

Go for walks at 4:00 AM, 3:00 PM, and 7:00 PM

Wrestle with Bentley until exhausted, then lie down and eat a bone before bed.

Bentley normally sleeps on a dog bed next to our mattress (although he is allowed on the mattress whenever he wants). But once Joey got there, Bentley did not want Joey on the mattress without him being up there also. So, it took a few days to figure out the best option but they worked it out and Bentley ended up sleeping on his dog bed and Joey took the couch which is right above our heads since our mattress is on the floor.

And then a typical day up north:

We were able to spend two full weeks up north plus two long weekends. Those days were spent going anywhere from a two- to six-mile walk in the morning. Then the dogs typically spent the rest of the day lying on the porch and soaking up the sun.

In the evening they would wake back up for about 15 or 20 minutes before lying by the fire pit for an hour or two until we went to bed.

They spent some time watching and chasing wildlife up to the gate. Here is a picture of Joey watching a bear...

We went on several rides on the new side-by-side, which they both absolutely loved, sticking their heads out the window and having a grand old time.

Twice I took Joey by himself to the beach so he could play in the shallow water and chase rocks that I threw.

And he really enjoyed having those smoked bones. He would lay on his dog bed and chew them literally for hours.

I honestly think Joey and Bentley really became great friends during those five or six weeks. Bentley seemed really bummed when Joey went home.

Luckily we were just able to adopt a special needs Basset this week. Walter is a special guy--of course there’s a little period of adjustment now that he’s in a new home--but I'm sure he and Bentley will have just as much fun as Bentley and Joey did!

As you can see, Joey definitely had a fantastic vacation! He came home with some of the special bones he likes (and he really does spend hours chewing on it). When he came home, he spent three full days sleeping--he was so tired from such a long and fun vacation with his cousin/buddy. It was fun getting pictures from Jeanie showing me what they were up to.

Jeanie and Shawn are the best dog parents EVER--seriously. If I was a dog, I'd want them to adopt me!

Featured Posts

Blog Archive