June 29, 2012

Rip Van Winkle

It was another early morning for me today. Yesterday was pretty hot--hot enough that my boys' baseball games were canceled last night! So I wanted to make sure and get my 10-mile run out of the way early today to avoid a heat stroke ;)

Ty was coming to meet me from Ann Arbor (about a 45 minute drive) at 6:30. So I got up at 5:00 to get ready for our run. We met at a gas station, and then I drove from there to the park that Jessica and I used to park at for our long runs. I had mapped out a 10-mile out-and-back route that went to the tip of the Metropark and back.

It was pretty hot outside. At just 6:30 AM, it was already in the 70's, and it was 81 when we finished. It was extremely humid--the air felt really thick, which made it harder to breathe. We saw quite a few people out running, though, which was really surprising. I never see other runners! But I counted at least 6 or 7 today.

My knee was holding up pretty well, but at mile 4, we decided to do a short walk break every mile (the 9:1 thing Jess and I did). Ty is coming off of a hip injury, so we took it easy. When we got to the bridge at the Metropark, we stopped for a quick picture:
My knee pain got worse at around mile 9, and I decided to listen to my body (like my doctor told me) and walk the rest of the way back to the car. I stopped my Garmin, of course ;) Ty said that taking a week off of running really helped a lot with her hip injury, and I think she has me convinced to take a FULL week off of running. If I'm going to do it, the best time would be NOW. I don't have any races lined up until September 1, when I'm running a half-marathon in Minnesota.

I don't think that taking a full week off will harm my fitness level, so I am going to try it. My next run won't be until a week from Monday--so I'll be skipping all three scheduled runs next week. I'm going to go for walks instead, as long as my knee feels good about it, and I will continue my strength training, stretching, and foam rolling. Let's hope that the time off helps my knee!

Anyway, we got back to the car, and I was drenched in sweat. When it's that humid outside, the sweat is just ridiculous. But here are our splits:
Stupid Garmin is all screwed up. I just spent about an hour trying to upload our run, and it wouldn't work. It STILL won't work. And even when I look at the Garmin itself, it's only showing one lap (the first mile). Oh well, at least I can get the final stats of the run:
My iPhone takes terrible pics of my Garmin,
but I'm too lazy to get my real camera.
After the run, we headed to breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Ever since I had the pecan pancakes when Jennifer and Angela were in town for the documentary, I've been craving them again. They are probably going to be my go-to meal after my long runs during marathon training. They did not disappoint me today:
I ate all three pancakes, but I really wish I'd just had two. I felt comfortably full after two, but they were just so good I couldn't stop! Then Ty headed back to Ann Arbor, and I went home to shower. I've been extremely stressed and anxious for the last couple of weeks, and it's causing physical symptoms that are really bothersome (lump in my throat, eyelid twitching, etc). So I took a Xanax to relax a little. I don't take it very often, but when my anxiety and stress gets really bad, I might take one.

Then Jerry and I took the boys to the creek to catch crawfish again, since he was off work today. He waded through the creek with the boys.
I was really starting to feel the Xanax, which was making me incredibly tired. That's why I don't take it very often, because it puts me to sleep. Jerry took a picture of me, which looks really pathetic:
When we got home, my kids called my parents to ask if they could spend the night over there, and of course my mom said yes. I was excited to be able to hang out with Jerry, and possibly even go out somewhere. I wanted to lie down for just a couple of minutes, so I laid on the couch and watched Tosh.0 with Jerry... and I actually fell asleep! I never, ever take naps--I was willing myself to keep my eyes open, but I just couldn't. Jerry thought it was funny, and actually took a picture of me sleeping. I can't believe I was so out of it that I had no idea he took this:
I am so not attractive when I sleep, haha! Anyway, I didn't sleep very long--just a few minutes--but then my eyes shot open and I panicked that I had fallen asleep. I know a lot of people like naps, but I hate them--I feel like it's such a waste of my day.

So now Jerry and I are trying to figure out what to do tonight--whether we should go out or stay in. I'm leaning toward staying in. ;)


  1. I haven't been out with Charlie without the kids or anyone else in a very long time. We are sorely overdue!! I hope you enjoyed your alone time! Never did find out how that 30 day challenge went!

  2. Rachel W.June 29, 2012

    I have been reading your blog since the beginning of the year. By the way your awesome!! I was wondering what exactly is foam rolling? I have heard you talk about it but I don't exactly know what it is for or how exactly you do it.

    1. Foam rolling is kind of a way of giving yourself a deep tissue massage--it really loosens up the connective tissue around your muscles. It's kind of hard to describe, but if you Google it, you'll get tons of hits!

  3. On the bright side of the nap picture...there wasnt any drool!

    1. It's so funny you mentioned that, because it's become a running joke between Jerry and me... ever since I broke my jaw, it's hard for me to hold my top and bottom lips together (whether I'm awake or not). When I sleep, it's impossible to sleep with my lips together, so I've become a drooler. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I usually sleep with a hand towel on my pillow! I never used to drool until I broke my jaw. Thankfully Jerry and I were already married, so there was no escaping for him ;)

  4. So impressed you made it out for a 10 mile run, especially in the weather you've been having! That is a benefit of year-round coolness in the Northwest: it's great for running. I know I've asked you this before, but which training plan are you using this time? Is it Hal Higdon again? You look so cute lounging by the creek! I love those crop pants. Even if I'm asleep for 2 minutes my mouth falls open - I love that I'm not alone! ha ha!

    1. I'm following a plan that I found in a Women's Running magazine. You can see it here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N9WLFUSWaMs/T8Pl88qrsSI/AAAAAAAAEGI/U5r7QVlFbcs/s1600/Detroit+Marathon+training.jpg

  5. I only take half a xanax or I am wiped out. Even half makes me feel drowsy so I rarely take them but I am glad they are there when I need it. Sometimes a 10-20 minute nap makes a world difference in my day. Any longer leaves me feeling hung over.

  6. Here are the splits!! http://www.runningahead.com/logs/dd289ec7e75f4d52b2444a40130f70fd/workouts/bd04f606758d4a9aac4077ddef00506d

  7. Those pancakes look delicious!!! I hope your anxiety drops soon, I'm sure the symptoms make it feel a million times worse. Anytime I can't breathe or perceive lack of breathe I will panic and make it worse.

    I love Tosh.0. I watch it at the gym on the little "built in" tv's our machines have. I am sure people think I have tourettes from the crazy faces I make & intermittent laughing. ha ha!

  8. I recently took a full week off from running and it was so worth it. I didn't lose any fitness and have felt much better since (I'd been totally dragging after finishing my first marathon.)

    And those pancakes!! We don't have a single Cracker Barrel in the entire state of California, so I'll have to remember them the next time we're out of state!

  9. Running with injuries is tough, I'm learning! I get achy knees, and it's hard to tell if it's just a muscle getting stronger or a problem that worsens with running. Annoying! Usually 2-3 rest days does it for me. It looks like you and the fam are enjoying a nice lazy summer! I love it!!

  10. AnonymousJune 30, 2012

    Do you think the heat and humidity affects your Garmin? I ran 11m this morning @ 7:00 am(temp in the 80s w/ a high of 105 today) and my Forerunner 210 was screwy and didnt get the elevation changes right at all! Cracker Barrel is our "after church" routine on Sundays...cant go wrong w/ anything on their menu. btw, you've inspired me start training for a marathon this fall!...just completed my 2nd half last weekend. -Deb fom TN

  11. I try not to run when I have any injury, I just take it easy, instead of running I just walk my dogs or walk with my kids. So my daily routine is taking my program, Rocalabs, then my healthy meals (still learning more recipes for healthy foods that me and my kids can share), and running or walking when injured. I'm maintaining but somehow wanted to lose a few more lbs along the way but I'm now on a healthier route.


Featured Posts

Blog Archive